Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday Night

So, tonight I decided to do something a little different.  I went to the movies.  I figured nobody else would go see it with me, so I went to see GI Joe Retaliation.  I have to say, I went in with pretty low expectations.  I figured if it was at least a somewhat entertaining popcorn flick, then it would be a success in my book.  And, it was.  I've seen a lot of "Hardcore fans" out there complaining because the characters didn't fit the portrayals from the comics/cartoon/filecards/their imaginations.  Personally, it didn't bother me.  I didn't grow up with the comic.  I grew up watching the cartoon where every character was basically a superhero with a gun and nothing more than a thinly veiled walking advertisement for the toys.  The characters themselves were always something of a blank slate for me.  So, being able to ignore established characters and personalities helped a lot for me.

In terms of the movie itself, if the first movie was essentially a live-action version of the cartoon, then this one is a live-action version of the comic.  I'd say it was somewhat more grounded in reality this time around.  The Joes didn't have all of their goofy sci-fi gadgets, though they certainly had a few at the beginning.  Cobra certainly had their own fair share of goofy high tech toys as well, but for the most part, they weren't the focus of the action sequences like they were in the first movie.  I think overall, it was an alright movie.  I've heard that its already been greenlighted for a third, but I'm not sure if that's legit or an April Fool's joke (I hate April Fools!).  If they do make a third, I hope they have Flint as the main character.  The fact that he was just a side character was probably my biggest gripe with this one.

Oh, and the RZA is totally channeling a 70s kung-fu movie in all of his scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment