Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tuesday evening

Yesterday was pretty busy.  I was way too tired to post, but apparently I wasn't too tired to work on my Typhus proxy.  I worked on him tonight too.  Here's how he's looking now.
I actually completely redid the top of his armor.  Before he had a pair of horns and some fleshy growths on there, but I found a good tutorial for doing Typhus' exhaust stacks.  Here's what I was able to sculpt tonight.
I think I'm getting a lot better at sculpting.  Oh, I also trimmed his scythe way down, so it's much more in proportion.

Beyond that, my day has been pretty low key.  I applied for a job, went down to the yogurt shop near the apartment and got myself some green tea gelato, and watched a movie.

The movie I watched was Wolf Children:  Ame & Yuki.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Children_Ame_and_Yuki
The movie was released last summer and I'd seen ads for it in the hobby magazines, but never got around to checking it out.  A clip from it in Neogaf's funny pictures thread actually reminded me to give it a look.  The director, Mamoru Hosoda is actually pretty well known and has made some pretty good movies in the past like several of the Digimon movies, the Girl who Leapt Through Time (which I've heard is really good), and Summer Wars (which was pretty much one of his Digimon movies only without the Digimon).  He seems to do a lot of kind of Slice Of Life/Coming of Age dramas with elements of the fantastic like monsters, virtual online worlds, time travel, and in this movie, werewolves.  I'd agree with the reviews who say the movie is somewhat cliched and predictable, but it was still pretty good.  Maybe I'm just a bit of a softie, but I thought the movie was kind of sad, too.  I'd say it was kind of bittersweet.  We follow these characters over a period of twelve years as they grow up and eventually make their choices in life and go on their way.  I'm kind of annoyed at the character Ame though since he makes his decision and then pretty much disregards the feelings of everyone around him, ultimately putting his family's lives in danger in order to satisfy his own sense of belonging.  Eh, his choices in the end just kind of bugged me.  Still, the movie was decent and worth watching.

The next movie I have to watch is The Life of Guskou Budori.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_of_Guskou_Budori
Yeah, I don't know what it's about, but I believe it is supposed to have a strong environmental theme.  And animal people.  That, I absolutely know it has.  It's by Gisaburō Sugii, who directed Arashi No Yoru Ni (aka One Stormy Night) and strangely enough, he also directed the Street Fighter animated movie.  At the very least, I expect the movie to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment