Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Tuesday evening





 Tonight's dinner:  Gnocchi with Marinara Sauce.
This is actually the first thing I've made on my own since I've moved in that wasn't instant or leftovers. 

I got a bit of bad, but not unexpected news tonight.  One of the Kickstarters I was backing, Thon was officially canceled.  It's a real shame, the gameplay actually sounded well thought out and varied.  The miniatures looked great, the stretch goals were great, offering huge expansions of the troops and the designs all looked really cool.  I don't know what the deal was with the funding though.  All of a sudden, about a week or so ago it just started bleeding backers.  This happened about the time the first stretch goal was reached, then the thing just started backpedaling like crazy.  At the very least, the creator said he will try again at a later date once he's smoothed out some of the kinks that cropped up, like the issue with the miniatures' scale.  I hope it does come back though, because it was a project I was really looking forward to.

Now, I think I mentioned that over the weekend, I got shelves put up, my display cabinet anchored, my tv cabinet built, and a tv purchased and set up.  Well, I've got pics!
Here's my new shelving/display/work area.  This is in my bedroom.  It's cozy, but it works.   I had to move my computer table to the left of the cabinet since the painting table was a bit bigger than was initially thought.  But, everything fits perfectly, almost like it was planned that way.  Shelves are obviously pretty bare right now, but that'll change.
My new TV with the Xbox already hooked up.  I kind of forgot to grab some games, so Saint's Row The Third is still in it.  I played it a bit last night and it got me totally sidetracked.  Well, that and painting did.  Speaking of which....

My Aspiring Champion's current state.  He's received a completely new paintjob and is actually further along tonight than he was yesterday before I'd stripped it.  I've decided against giving him a patina finish and will instead copy the scheme I used for my Adeptus Custodes model.  He'll wind up being a fair bit cleaner that way, unfortunately, but I suppose I don't need all of my Nurgle affiliated troops totally filthy.

Speaking of Patina finishes, here's a couple test runs.
As I mentioned, the other Aspiring Champion was stripped as well.  Unlike the other figure, this one will receive a patina.  The figure on the right was actually originally the yellowish colored model I was testing wash-based paintjobs on.  I kind of wish I had a marble pillar to mount him on.  I'd like to use him as a statue, I think.  He's actually received a second patina wash and a bit of drybrushing just to see how the two techniques would look on him.  As it is, I suppose it looks pretty good.  Now, unfortunately, because of the way the Aspiring Champion is posed, he's kind of hard to get a decent picture of, so you can't really see the patina on him.   I did manage to get a decent pic though...
There we go.  Now you can really see it.  I actually really quite like how this turned out.  I'll go back and add the details he had previously, like the glowing eye in his chest, the fleshy hoses, the green loincloth, etc.  I'll be making his guns rusted though.  He is part of a Plague Marine warband after all.

I've also been working a bit on my Barzam Marines.  The second member is actually fully finished now, other than a little bit of touchup and highlighting.



I've also been working on the team's special weapons guy.
The camera didn't want to focus on him, but I've got all the blue bits done.  Up next is the gold, the funky weapon, and highlighting plus adding his backpack.  The other two members of the team are also being worked on, but somehow I've lost one of their shoulder pads.  I need to find some way to replace that.

One other item I worked on today (this was all done tonight, btw) is this Death Guard Marine I'm doing for my father.  I didn't do too much to him today, but I got those horns on his right shoulder painted and I painted all of the little hoses on him.  Next up will be to add some rust to the speaker on his chest, paint those straps, paint the chainmail on his left shoulder, and those embedded faces on it as well.  Oh, and I need to finish the rust on his weapons.  not sure if he'll be receiving any eyes or not.  I kind of like how he looks without any detailing in his eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment