Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Star Trek Nemesis

Over the weekend I saw the new Star Trek movie with my parents.  I'm not going to lie, I was never all that into Star Trek.  I always found the series to be somewhat boring and the lack of action kept it from really competing against something like Star Wars.  Hell, even Doctor Who had more action than Star Trek.  Now, that isn't to say that I completely hated Trek.  Deep Space 9 was actually a very good show once it got a few seasons in and TNG and the original series both had some pretty good episodes, so it wasn't all bad.  Anyway, watching Into Darkness made my want to re-evaluate my opinion on Trek and give it another chance.  I figured I'd watch some of the shows and the movies.  I know that with the movies, basically every other one is bad, but I figured I'd at least watch a few of them anyway.  At the very least, I'd watch the last of the Next Generation movies since I'd seen all of the other ones except Nemesis.   So, that brings us to this.
So yeah, I knew this had a reputation for being fairly blah.  It isn't the best TNG movie (that'd probably be First Contact) and it isn't the worst (Insurrection), it was just mediocre.  The movie had some aspects to it that actually could have been more interesting if they'd been fleshed out more and explored better.  I think the biggest fault of this movie though, is that it didn't feel like a movie at all.  Maybe it's just my tv, because I know HD tvs tend to make special effects really stand out, but the effects in this movie looked kind of bad.  This was a theatrically released movie and the cg barely looked any better than what would've been in the show.  Another problem is the sets.  They're kind of lame.  Every single set in this movie felt small, sparse, and kind of claustrophobic.  These were really the kinds of sets that they would've been able to make on the tv show's budget.  These did not feel like the kinds of sets you'd see in a big budget Hollywood movie.  Really, this just felt like a longer tv episode.  Just about everything in this movie was on par with what you'd get from the show.  There was no grand scope, no real sense of adventure or anything like you would expect from a Star Trek movie.  Honestly, this was just sort of a let down and it's kind of a shame that this was the final movie until 2009's reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment