Monday, January 27, 2014

A trio of old models

A trip to the local hobby shop yielded a few surprising finds.  Truly, the consignment case can be a treasure trove of old and rare figures.  Today I managed to find a pair of interestingly painted, very old, and very out of production Chaos Raptors for 40k.  There were also some old metal Cadians (that looked like Vietnam GIs), metal Cadian Kasrkin Storm Troops, and a pair of old metal Inquisitorial Storm Troopers.  The Raptors definitely caught my eye.  They're funky.  One dude has a bird motif to his armor, the other has a bunch of faces all over him.  Their paintjobs weren't very good, though I did find the color scheme to be an interesting choice.  They're a sort of copper and gold.  The Inquisitorial Storm Troopers also caught my interest.  Unfortunately, there were only the two.  One was a sergeant with a Plasma Pistol (he originally came packed by himself) and the other was a sergeant with a power sword (who originally came packed with a set of five guys).  Since the power sword dude was A)missing the rest of his squad and B)wasn't wearing a gas mask, I chose the plasma pistol guy.  Here's how they looked when I got them home.
Whoever had previously owned those Raptors clearly had them for a long time.  The way their bases were flocked was how GW recommended doing it waaaaaay back in the day.  Also, the wings broke off of the guy on the left.  At first I couldn't tell what he was armed with.  The previous owner painted it like a plasma rifle, but upon closer inspection, it appears to actually be a flamethrower.  Since I kind of like what had been down with their colors, I think I'm going to try and maintain the copper/gold scheme.  The guy with all the faces will be interesting to paint.

And, since the Storm Trooper is unpainted, I decided to have a go at him tonight.  I had literally just placed the final washes onto him when I took this picture.
It's a little hard to make the details out right now, especially since the lighting is bad and he's all wet and glossy from the wash.  There's still a few more details I want to touch up, too.  He's got a desert camo scheme I borrowed from a poster on Dakka Dakka (the Lamb's World troops).  I think I probably should have used a lighter grey than what I did on him though.  Oh well.  If I ever get any more, I'll have to try it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment