Monday, September 9, 2013

Mummies, Alive!

So, about mid-last week, my brother, his wife, and his daughter all came home from Japan.  It's been a while since we've seen them, so I took off a couple of days to extend my weekend.  That way I'd have some extra time to hang out with them.  I spent pretty much all of today with them and, even though we didn't really do anything, I still enjoyed being able to hang out with them.  After today, it's back to my usual daily grind.  Bleh.

My brother mentioned that I need more variety in my blog though.  He says it's too much about the miniatures.  Well, in that case, I did finally get around to watching all of Singham.  Singham is an Indian action movie that I'd heard was totally ridiculous and has some absolutely wacky stunts in it.  Here's the trailer for the movie.
So, Singham is like, the most awesomely, manliest badass who has ever walked the face of the Earth.  And for some reason, criminals seem to think that they can take him on.  Ha ha, silly criminals.  You cannot match the manliness of Bajirao Singham.  So, this movie does have ridiculously over the top action scenes and some great scenes of sheer badassary.  The action scenes and pretty much any scene in which Singham is doing his job are great.  The rest of the movie... eh.  I can't say this movie is perfect.  For one thing, it's over 2 and 1/2 hours.  A good chunk of that time is spent cramming as many other genres into this movie as the writers can fit, including romantic comedy, slapstick comedy, drama, and of course musical.  All of this is in addition to the action movie stuff.  Personally, I felt way too much time was spent on the romantic comedy parts.  On top of that, at times I couldn't tell if the movie was supposed to be serious or a parody.  It hit so many generic police action movie tropes, and played them all so over the top, it really felt like it was supposed to be a parody. 

So, in the end, my opinion on the movie is mixed.  It's too long, and too much time is spent on the boring stuff.  On the other hand, the acting was pretty good, the action scenes were over the top and generally pretty damn awesome and Singham's bouts of blatant police brutality are generally just plain fun to watch.  I mean, watch this clip.
The movie is on Netflix, btw.  Go ahead and watch it.

Now back to the boring stuff my brother doesn't care about:  MINIATURES!
Maybe you were wondering about that title for this post?  I wonder, could it have anything to do with mummies?

Why yes, yes it does.
The Kickstarter Bones figures have finally hit the local hobby shop and I had to buy them.  Seeing as my skeletons wound up getting trounced last time I used them in Song of Blades and Heroes, I figured I'd try something different.  I picked up most of the Bones mummy figures/sets.  I'm really only missing the wizard one.  I picked up the mummy captain
Mummy Warriors
And your generic run of the mill mummies.
The warriors and shambling types came in 3 packs.  I've so far got two of each pack finished.  I'll have the final pair of figures finished up fairly soon, I'm sure.  They're really easy to paint, so I can bang these guys out pretty quickly.  Hell, the basic mummies only take an hour or two at most.

I've picked up several other figures that I'm slowly working on.  I've got 3 female characters that I've dipped and need to finish up sometime later this week, a couple of hulking evil knights, a "strumpet,"a barmaid, an evil altar, and some flame tokens and several other types of undead including 2 armored skeletons and a clear wraith.  Unfortunately, none of the sci-fi stuff seems to be available yet.

Here's one of the 2 evil knights I have.  The other is not even close to being done yet.





I've also been working on camouflage techniques.  I learned recently how to do German pea-dot camo.  It's surprisingly easy to do and fairly adaptable.  Here's a figure I was using to practice it on.
Those pictures are pre-wash.  Unfortunately, the pics I did take of the figure after I added the wash did not turn out very good.  In the pictures, it winds up looking better pre-wash, but in person, it looks better post-wash.  Weird.  I guess it just doesn't photograph very well.






No comments:

Post a Comment